Friday, September 30, 2011

September 30, 2011 Schrock Rd. (The Far Side of the Moon)

It is now mid September. About one month away from the half. I need to make up for lost time--big time. Which means I need to increase my distance if I am ever going to even complete the 13.1 miles.

Still, I am hearing things that are making me feel more comfortable about running a half. Or even a full marathon. Like, people walk them. Or portions of them. Really? I was amazed to hear this! I always thought, if you stopped you're out of it. No re-starts. But the casual nature of it all is sitting well with me. Enough about this. All something to file under "Rationalizations."

Increasing distance is at hand. By now, I am covering most of the Otterbein campus. An improvement from when I would run out County Line Road to State to Main Street ... and then peter out around the Otterbein stadium. Bleah! Now that the bridge construction is FINALLY completed on Main Street, I am able to do a large square around Otterbein. Which I believe is about 3.5 miles. But I need longer. So, I look on a map and see that Schrock Road is the next road south that connects Cleveland to State. Gasp. That seems SO far away! Still, one day I try it. And it was terrible. I made it 3/4 of the way around until just turning onto Main Street to cut across the Otterbein campus. 4.4 miles, I calculate later. Not good. A few days later, I try again. I am determined to make it all the way back to the Rec Center ... and I do! Just shy of 6 miles!

I realize that this may sound boring to anyone else. But it is a true milestone for me. The last time I ran this far outside was before Julia was born (1995-ish). 6 miles. Just shy of half of a half. I still have a ways to go. But, for some strange reason, I feel as if I broke through a personal threshold. And that's what matters and keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment