Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September 28, 2011 Post-Honduran Blues

I knew that I would not be running during the week I was in Honduras. What I didn't expect was to return home in early August with a double ear infection.

It was terrible, lasting nearly an entire month and taking me off of my running schedule. I would think, "Okay, I sweated a LOT while in Honduras and kept the weight off. That's cool. One extra week of not running will be okay." But my ears never got better, even after two doctor visits and two prescriptions of antibiotics ... and steroids! Then, another week went by. I feared that all that I had accomplished was for nought. My energy level sagged and I could feel the weight coming back onto my frame. Not cool. Then, another week went by. I was into Week 4 of not running. A month! It became easier to say "Maybe next week. Give your ears some time to heal." Yes, I did still feel like I was underwater. Whatever I "got" really must have twisted itself inside of me. But I felt that the little voice that said "Run!" was growing weaker by the day.

I had to do something. Fast.

So, I went to the rec center one day during lunch. I was expecting ugliness. Aches. Pains. But not so much! I got back into the groove right away! I remember it well; it was between 3 and 4 miles. Not too shabby. Then, I set my sights on something longer: Schrock Road, all the way down Cleveland Avenue. Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment