Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September 27, 2011 Fast Forward!!!

The bad news: I have ignored this blog for six months. The good news: I have dutifully kept up with my running. That said, I will try to encapsulate the past half year here as my half marathon is just under three weeks away!

The "Couch to 5K" program went well. It's easy, in fact. I re-read my previous blog posts from earlier in the year and smiled. “I added an extra two minutes.” Now, my longer runs last for over an hour. Before, I was switching between walking and running. Now I run the entire length. Albeit very slow. But still, a “short” run is now 3 or 4 miles, while my longest outdoor run is about 8. I am happy with that. Very.

Still, I try not to be too smug—an easy thing for a “Kellow male” to do. The “C-2-5K” plan worked well for me. It gave me the very, very slow start that I needed and was looking for. I have heard too many stories of guys my age starting too quickly and paying the price. Not here. Thank the Good Lord.

From March through July things went well. Slow, but well. And although the weather grew warmer outside, I really took a liking to the treadmills at the rec center. They helped increase my mileage. I recall dutifully going while Pamela and the girls were in Wisconsin in June. Even early on a Saturday morning. My highest mileage was 8 miles. And although treadmill running is easier than “real” outdoor running, I was making progress. And that’s all that mattered to me.

No one to compete with. Just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment